Last Update: July 28, 2020
Stanley Mitchell Hut
September 11-12, 2020
- Arrive FRIDAY, September 11. Leave SUNDAY, September 13
- Please contact King Shit or Abandoned Pussy if
you want to get on the waiting list
- See who's coming
- The hut sleeps 15 people. We are full. All the spots are taken
- Final cost hasn't been determined yet, but will be about $250/person
(hut + wilderness pass + ACC + food + incidentals)
- If a spot opens up, we'll require a $200 deposit.
You are not signed up until we have the money
- e-transfer funds to King Shit at
- You can also bring cash to King Shit or Abandoned Pussy at our next run
Want to Go Early?
You could overnight Thursday near the trail head. Here are a few suggestions:
- Banff: Plenty of hotels there. Who knew?
- Storm Mountain Lodge: just south of Cathedral Mountain on Hwy 93
- Lake Louise: Alpine club members get a discount at the Lake Louise hostel.
CH3 has a group membership
- Field: there is a hotel, lots of B&B's and a nice hostel
- Great Divide Lodge: on the highway between Lake Louise & Field
- Emerald Lake Lodge: just west of Field
- Whiskey Jack Hostel at Takakkaw Falls (no cell service, no internet)
Here's the Plan so far..
- Arrive at the parking lot at about 11 am, Friday
- If you come later, see below
- We will walk 12 km up a fire road to get to the hut (about 3 hours)
- You can NOT drive on the fire road. No bicycles either. You must walk
- We will stop for lunch on our way to the hut
- Run? There will most likely be a hash run after supper on Satuday night
- Take Hwy #1 west from Calgary, past Lake Louise
- About halfway (15 min) to Field,
take the Lake O'Hara turn off on the South (left) side of the highway
- We will meet in the parking lot and hike 12 km to the hut
- The hike itself will take 3-4 hours
- You'll sleep in Elizabeth Parker Hut, which is run by the Alpine Club of Canada
- Let the organizers know when you'll arrive
- Get a copy of the ACC Invoice from the organizers.
If Parks Canada stops you on the trail without it, they can send you home
(and no, we won't give you a refund)
- Don't phone us at the hut. There is no cell service
- You will need to walk 11 km up the fire road
and then follow a 1 km trail
through the bush to get to the hut
- Sunset will be shortly before 5 pm on September 11.
Bring a light, just in case
- Do not travel by yourself. You are in the wilderness.
There will be no people on the road to help you.
Your mobile phone will not work
- No, you can't bring along a person who isn't signed up for the trip
Food and Drink
- Bring lunch. It's a 3-4 hour hike. We will stop to eat on the
- Supper, Snacks and Breakfast provided will be provided at the hut
What to Bring
- Parks Canada pass for your car. They were only free in 2017
- Here is a list of the gear you will need
- Do NOT bring therma-rest/sleeping pad. The hut is supplied with mattresses
- Clothing for late fall or early winter temperatures at the top
of the mountain. The weather in the mountains can change very
quickly. You could experience summer heat and winter snow on the
- Your back pack should be big enough to hold your gear and the
food that will be divided between us
- IMPORTANT – All garbage must be carried out with us when we
- There is a lot of info on the web about hiking in the Canadian Rockies
- Here is a nice introduction to
hiking at Lake O'Hara
- See King Shit or Abandoned Pussy at our next run
Calgary Hash House Harriers' website — http://onon.org/asm/